If your school assigns you a required reading book for the summer, here are some reading tips to help you maximize understanding of your book:
If you own your book, take notes in the margins. If checking your book out of the library, take notes in a special notebook.
- Who are the main characters? Circle or write down names of the main characters.
- What are the characteristics of these girls, boys, men, or women? Jot down traits that create character: what the character looks like, what they say, what they do, what others say about them.
- What is the setting? Note the time, place, and setting the author creates.
- How are conflicts developing? Write down any potential conflicts you see with characters or situations.
- How might the conflicts be resolved? Think about and include your ideas about how the book might end.